Boeing Vertol Company was founded in August 1940 by F. PIASECKI, who became the chief designer and Chairman of the Board of the company. During her activities released more than 2,500 aircraft twin-screw longitudinal schema. The first helicopter of the company PV-1 single-rotor design was built in 1943. The first twin-screw PV-3 (prototype of future HRP-1 and H-21), designed by request of the U.S. Navy, took to the air in March 1945.
The first production twin-screw helicopter of the longitudinal scheme became the HRP-1 was produced from 1947 to 1949. It went into serial production its modification HRP-2 (1950-1952.). In 1950 he made the first flight of PV-18, which later were widely used in the Navy, and the U.S. army.
In 1956 the company started designing a new transport helicopter with turboshaft engines for the U.S. Navy. The construction of the prototype MODEL 107-107A (later CH-46) was launched in may 1957. The first flight of the M -107A made on 22 April 1958 with the TVD of the General Electric company GE-T58, and in August 1959, and tested a military version of this machine. In October 1960, it skyrocketed civilian version of the M-107.
Tests of a military transport helicopter CH-46 Sea Night began in October 1962. In 1964 this car has been in the military. Serial production of the CH-46 continued until 1970.
BOEING VERTOL CH-46: the diameter of the rotor 15 240 mm, length 13 900 mm, height 5150 mm, maximum weight 10 170 kg, empty weight 5500 kg, engines GNOME Rolls Royce company, with a capacity for 1660 HP