THE “WORKHORSE” OF THE BRITISH ARMY

In 1966, the military command of the British army felt that the troops needed a new car a solid class that would be easier and on dimensions less than the then car firms “Austin”, “Morris”, “Humber”. In accordance with the tasks the army needed a four wheel drive truck with a payload of one tonne, capable of towing artillery gun or transport trailers weighing up to a ton and a half. And provided the possibility of carrying up to eight soldiers in full combat gear. An important qualities of the new car was recognized its simplicity and manufacturability, small dimensions.

 
For the development of a “workhorse” for the British army took firm Rover is a company with extensive experience, started manufacturing cars in 1947, Then it was created a fundamentally new type of civil SUV with permanent all-wheel drive, which had so great a success that by the beginning of next year, the company has established export relations with 70 countries. Simultaneously, the firm began to develop and military vehicles.
 
First army Lend Rover Mk-I (“land Rover”) under the military index FV-18001 made in 1949 So there was a “Series I” with a wheelbase of 2032 mm. On the “land Rover” were 4-cylinder petrol engine Rover-60 power 50 HP Machine supplied with a 4-speed transmission, hydraulic brakes, spring suspension on both axles. Open body contained 250 kg of cargo.
Development of the MK-I was the car MK-III with a wheelbase 2185 mm, chassis which in 1954 created a special patrol car FV-18006 with three machine guns of 7.62 and 12.7 mm. at the same time on the basis of 2718 mm mastered 7-local staff MK-IV (FV-18004) with a closed 5-door body, as well as sanitary option FV-18005 with aluminum body firm Bonallack.
 
In September 1962, a new “Series II” cars “land Rover” with a wheelbase of 2230 mm. Began production of the multipurpose army vehicle Lightweight General Service (“Situat”) with an open body for transportation of goods and weaponry. It was a variant, adapted to transport aircraft and helicopters. For this he had removable doors and windshield, a specific front fascia, the spare wheel was placed on the hood. Vehicle weight –1225 kg, height — 1470 mm, the speed on the highway — 105 km/h. Some modifications it produced up to 1985
 
Army ambulance
 
Army ambulance “Series IIA” FV-18070. 1966
 
On-Board truck with an open body FV-19000. 1976
 
Flatbed truck with an open body FV-19000. 1976
 
By 1962 also included the development of a hoodless solid tactical vehicles “land Rover FC” with all-wheel drive. In 1973 he adopted the airborne side FC101 (FV-19000). This car had a wheelbase of 101 inches (2565 mm — hence the designation), the Rover engine V8 with a capacity of 127 HP, wheel formula 4×4. The drivetrain consisted of a 4-speed transmission, center differential, hypoid transmissions, suspension was spring. Have FC101 was high ground clearance, short overhangs, large wheels with tires 9,00×16”. In the front was Powered Nokken winch with a pulling force of 1.8 T. the Maximum speed on the highway — 120 km/h.
 
Most of these trucks were produced for the British army, where they were in service until the end of the 1990s, Delivery of cars was carried out in Australia, Egypt, Luxembourg, Kenya, Oman, Uganda, Brunei, Dubai.
 
On the basis of FC101 created several versions of radiopersonal, staff and ambulances FV-19009/10 with bodies of the company “Marshall”. Until 1978 they were released 2660 units.
 
The ambulance was intended primarily for the evacuation of the wounded from the battlefield to the rear; they were equipped with four stretchers and had the appropriate medical equipment, including IVS. They were used not only the army, but, for example, and the air force, as a car emergency assistance to the victims on the ground. Radiophony provided mobile field and far military communication. Although these communication machines have built a little bit, the troops they were appreciated for user friendliness, most importantly, for “stealth” in the field.
 
 
Originally submitted to the army’s new “land Rovers” was used to tow the 105 mm light howitzers L118. With this task they coped just perfectly, to the same body at the same time transported and even artillery crew, but the ammunition had to be transported to another machine. Used cars for transportation of various cargoes and equipment weighing one ton.
 
Soon they adapted to tow missiles “rapier”, installed on two-axle trailers. There was a place in the car for five person staff, and a reserve of ammunition than that achieved significant savings, because with such a load of old 3/4-ton crane would be needed twice.
As soon as the air force of the British Commonwealth entered the helicopter, “Chinook”, it has become possible to make the whole complex “rapier” an air transportable tank, and moved quickly through the air by helicopter, along with the car-towing. As a result, the whole system has become very popular in the army most of the UK and in the armed forces of some countries of the Middle East, and Australia.
 
With the advent of anti-tank missile complex “Milan” odnotonnymi “land Rover” once was used by infantry units as a special vehicle. The car was located the complex with the ammunition — sixteen missiles and a crew of two, who was also in the back.
 
Solid army truck with an awning. 1977.
 
Solid army truck with an awning. 1977
 
Army ambulance FV-19010. 1977.
 
Army ambulance FV-19010. 1977
 
Fire truck on the chassis of the FC101. 1975.
 
Fire truck on the chassis of the FC101. 1975
 
The modern version of tourist vehicle
 
The modern version of tourist vehicle “House on wheels”
 
Explosion-proof passenger 6-seater
 
Explosion-proof passenger 6-seater “Leopard” on the chassis of the vehicle Lend Rover. 1975
 
Police car
 
Police car “Rhino” with a barrel-shaped body and a circular safety arcs. 1977
 
It was also the automobiles towing 81-mm mortar, and in the body are equipped with special racks for storage of ammunition.
 
Despite the fact that it tests more modern models of cars of this class, a solid “land Rovers” continue to serve in the armed forces of many countries in our days.
 
Cars “land Rover” are exported to many countries. Components and assemblies of these machines can be found in commercial trade around the world. Considerable demand chassis of trucks, which local firms assembled housing of various types and purposes. So, in the African of Rhodesia, for a long time been the terror of the militants had been “resistant to mines” cars based on truck chassis “land Rover” (international classification of MRAP — Mine Resistant Ambush Protected).
 
At first mine on the roads here fought by artisanal methods. The bottom of the truck were trimmed armor plates at different angles to deflect the shock wave to the side. Laid on the floor of the body of flat water tanks and roof — tires for depreciation roll-over machines. It turned out that and thus it is possible to significantly reduce the loss of life of the explosions.
However, it soon moved on to more civilized methods. On truck chassis “land Rover” since 1975, began to mount a V-shaped hull, raised above the road. Happened explosion-proof car “the Leopard”.
 
Its engine, transmission and of course the driver with the passengers were hiding behind the armor. Fuel tank, batteries, transmission, axles — is not booked, are located outside the house. On top of it reinforced tubular frame that protects the crew in case of rollover. Open top, covered only with an awning from dust and rain, contributes to the rapid pressure equalization in the building and outside in the explosion. Thus, Mina disabling only the chassis, leaving the body intact.
 
The production of such cars was put on stream. For the period 1975 — 1979 produced 750 cars. 67 the incident the landmine killed 67 people.
 
On the same principle — with a circular safety “arcs”, constructed car Rhino (“Rhino”), body Only it is rather barrel-shaped with flat sectors. The layout of components conventional with front engine.
 
Patrol car
 
The patrol car “Antelope” with the V-neck bottom and an external bulletproof veneer
 
Patrol car
 
Patrol car “Panther” with machine-gun turret and bulletproof glass
 
In Rhodesia have produced on the chassis “land Rover” the original single car-Pookie mine detector (“Puki” — monkey). Its V-shaped body protected the driver, and wide wheels from cars “Formulas-1” this reduces the specific ground pressure that pressure mines are not worked, and the detector allowed to identify them. And in the case of a breakdown was provided of the so-called “controlled demolition”, when the explosion acted at certain points in the design, pre-provided for the destruction. Therefore, the restoration of the damage occurred very quickly replace the particular ruined parts.
 
The main parts of the machine, as in “Leopard”, were outside of the body, their fragments did not penetrate the armor of the hull, reduces the risk of fire.
 
During service from 1976 to 1980″, Pucio” found some 600 anti-tank mines. 12 cars were killed. However, none of the drivers were not injured.
 
Were developed even police cars classification MRAP called the Kudu (“Horned antelope”). The body sides were trimmed with armor plates, inclined at a large angle. This was done for the “deviation” of bullets, trapped in the car.
 
The other patrol car, Panther (“Panther”) had a commander’s cupola with a machine gun. Its narrow Windows were closed bulletproof glass.
 
SPECIFICATIONS SOLID TRUCK LEND ROVER FC101
 
Crew………………………………………………………………………….1
Weight, kg………………………………………………………………………….3120
Length, mm………………………………………………………………………..4130
Width, mm……………………………………………………………………..1840
Height, mm………………………………………………………………………2140
Engine……………………………………carburettor ROVER V-8
water cooling
Power, HP……………………………………………………………………127
Suspension…………………………………………………all-wheel drive
Wheel formula……………………………………………………………… 4×4
Speed on highway, km/h…………………………………………………….120
Reserve, km……………………………………………………………………560

Noticed mistape? Highlight it and press Ctrl+Enter, to inform us.

Recommend to read

  • “SHERMAN” WITH “LONG HAND”“SHERMAN” WITH “LONG HAND”
    The defeat of the English troops on the European continent and the loss of almost two thirds of their tanks forced the British to seek the assistance of the United States. To make up for...
  • ROCKET AND GUN “TUNGUSKA”ROCKET AND GUN “TUNGUSKA”
    By the end of 1960-ies has increased its attention to the creation of highly mobile anti-aircraft army air defense short range, able to work as part of the advanced forces that could be...

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: