The first PR scouts.3 entered service 540 squadron (airfield Benson) in December 1952, replacing the on duty photo-reconnaissance modification of the “mosquito”. Unlike the bomber, PR.3 had a crew of two. In the fuselage you can install up to seven cameras (four or six F52 and F49 for one day of shooting or two F89, plus solar cells and photometric for night), and in the bomb Bay loaded to 1400 kg lighting bombs and missiles. Thanks to the installation of additional tanks fuel capacity increased to 2465 l, which increased the maximum range of almost 1440 km, compared to the bomber.
Flight training was conducted very intensively, at the same time worked out tactics of the new bombers. During training fights with the fighters “meteor” pilots “canberr” often brought their cars to the tail of the fighter jets and simulated attack. Parts, complete with new technology, took an active part in many drills and exercises held at that time. The main work on the task was considered to be attacks on combat order of the Soviet Navy. Great attention during training was paid to bridging the fields of radar air defense systems. Pilots “canberr” carried out flights at low altitudes, and very often they were able to pass unnoticed. The pilots of “frolicking” is not only near their radar. To the surprise of the Americans from US air force base in Laciniate, one “Canberra” from Binbrook quietly passed over their airfield, undetected by the defense system of the base.
During the operation of the design of Canberra was improved. In June 1954, 101 squadron received the improved version of the aircraft, V. 6, which was the further development of V. 2. Modification received new engines “Avon” R. A. 7 thrust 3410 kgs, two integral wing fuel tank with a capacity of 2045 litres, ejection seats for all crew members, the release system wheels. Besides the main role of the bomber planes could be used for photo-reconnaissance, which involves the installation of two AFA F97 MK.2 and associated equipment.
“Canberra” V. 2:
1—external fuel tank; 2—door crew cab; 3—Pitot; 4—lantern of the cockpit; 5—keel; 6—rudder; 7—Elevator; 8—stabilizer; 9—caudal heel; 10—wheel main landing gear; 11—wheel nose landing gear; 12—engine nacelle; 13—Aileron; a 14″knife” Aileron; 15—flap; 16—cabin Windows Navigator; 17—Aileron trimmer; 18—trimmer of the Elevator
In 1954 Canberra began to be based in Europe, joining the 2nd OTAK NATO. The location of the British became the first airfield Ahlhorn in Germany, and later another wing was deployed at the airport Gutersloh.
The cold war has made adjustments to the design of Canberra. For more effective work on the ground targets on the basis of option B. 6 we developed a modification(I)is .6, which was equipped with a hanging container with the guns (the four guns of 20 mm caliber ammunition with 525 rounds per gun) and external hardpoints for NAR and bombs. Thus modified 22 aircraft, which entered service 213 squadron. The operating experience of these machines revealed a significant drawback: a bad view from the cockpit in the course of the use of weapons. When you create a new modification In(1).8 first took to the air July 23, 1954, the designers tried to eliminate this defect, is reduced “to nothing” strengthening the combat potential of the aircraft. The nose of the aircraft redesigned. Instead of the round cap with not the best viewing characteristics, the designers set the lantern fighter type, and significantly shifted to the left, to improve visibility. Workplace Navigator moved to the bow, in front of the pilot, there was placed a new navigation and sighting equipment. The first production In(I).8 was received in mid-1956 on the arms of the 88th squadron, and until the beginning of 1958, they completed three squadron — 213-th, 88-th and 59-th. The plane was seen as a low-altitude tactical carrier of nuclear weapons capable of bombing kupirovaniya with the use of bombing from low altitude LABS. Worked out the following tactics of the bomber: the approach to the target at low altitude at a speed of 724 km/h, ascending maneuver with an overload of 3.4 g and a nuke. It is pertinent to note that before the advent in the late 1950s, heavy bombers of the series “V” (“valiant”, “Victor” and “Vulcan”) “Canberra” was seen by the military leadership of the UK as the main striking force in the strategic plans. Almost everything built for the Royal air force “eight” were in six squadrons (3rd, 14th, 16th, 59th, 88th and 213th), stationed in West Germany. Their “main caliber” was a bomb “bluff Shape” (Bluff Shape) with a capacity of 1 MT American production. By 1960 the ninth year in squadrons of the Royal air force in Germany in 15-minute readiness with specualtion on Board were on the same machine.
In actual combat the new bombers began to be used from February 1955, when the first four Canberra B. 6 of part 101 squadron relocated to Changu (Singapore), action to suppress the uprising in Malaya. After some tests in the tropics the aircraft flew to the air base Butterworth in Malaysia and proceeded to bomb rebel positions. Crews performed mainly two tactical tasks: a free search and pinpoint strikes against small camps of terrorists and bombing pre-surveyed targets.
For four and a half months, the crews of 101 squadron has completed 98 sorties, most of which occurred in the night. In 1955 — 1956 over from the 101st took other parts of the wing of Binbrook, joined by Canberra Australian and new Zealand air force, who were in Malaysia before 1960 English bombers for almost a year and a half period of participation in the operation “Miladi” completed 402 sorties and dropped on the heads of the rebels 703 tons of bombs.
In July 1956 President Nasser of Egypt announced his intention to nationalize the Suez canal and to bring it under its control. The British and French governments during the week after the announcement was made the plan of military operations for the prevention of Egypt’s intentions, the important role which was played by the air strikes. In the area of crisis it was planned to deploy 12 squadrons of “canberr”: five in Malta, the other in Cyprus. Two of the deployed squadrons — 109 and 139, the armed variants V. 6, given the role of targets and aircraft vectoring groups of bombers. Intelligence functions were assigned to team 13-squadron (with the involvement of aircraft and personnel of the 58th squadron), armed reconnaissance PR.7 (modification V. 6 for high-altitude photo-reconnaissance). The first targets of the bombing had become Egyptian airfields in the Nile Delta and the canal zone, but in the operation did not bomb them. 2 Nov 20 “canberr” bombed railway junction in NYSE than block the supply of Egyptian troops. On 5 November, the bombers attracted to the isolation of enemy forces near Port said. In December the squadron returned to the metropolis, lost in the course of operation, one photo reconnaissance PR.7. The plane was too close to the Syrian border and were intercepted by MiG-15 of the Syrian air force. The crew managed to leave the car, but after landing, he was captured.
After entering service with the British air force’s new bomber series V “Canberra” were “expelled” from Europe to the middle East. Since 1957, the aircraft began permanently based in Cyprus (Akrotiri air base), later in Iraq (habbaniya airfield), which have made training flights to Libya and Turkey. After the deterioration of relations with Iraq in the late 1950s, two squadrons — 88-I and 213-I briefly relocated to UAE (airbase Sharjah), and then returned to Germany.
In 1961 the division, based in Akrotiri, got two new modifications of the bomber. 32nd and 73rd squadrons rearmed on V. 15, and 249-I — V. 16. Both were improved versions of V. 6. V. 15 equipped with wing fuel tanks and additional external hardpoints, V. 16, beyond the outer pylons were fitted with improved navigational equipment. Both modifications were carriers of nuclear weapons and were on duty in Akrotiri until 1969 In the late 1960s, in the period of modernization of the Iranian air force new fighter jets F-4 and F-5, Canberra was frequently involved in joint training with Iranian pilots, in which they imitated the high-speed flying targets. To the credit of the British, the percentage of interceptions of new fighters was quite low.
Participated “Canberra” and the British nuclear programme. Some cars were adapted to study the effects of the radioactive cloud on the equipment and crews, and they were actively used in trials conducted by the British in the 1950s in the Pacific ocean. So, with the explosion of the first hydrogen bomb in may 1957, two Canberra PR.7 out of 100 squadron, had collected air samples. Two aircraft V. 6 of 76 squadron, equipped with rocket boosters passed through the radioactive cloud at a height of 17 078 metres, took samples of air and radioactive particles. After planting the machine was deactivated, and the tests were loaded into a few PR.7 out of the 58 squadron and sent to the metropolis. During the intermediate landing on the island of Newfoundland (Canada) from getting in charge of the snow one of the planes crashed.
Improving air defense systems, the appearance of air defense systems and high-speed interceptors with missile weapons forced them to search for “Canberra” in the late 1950-ies a new role for more effective use. At this time, began to produce a new modification of the aircraft, designed to solve specific problems.
In 1958, two bomber V. 2 was modified in the aircraft electronic intelligence. Usually these machines flew along the Soviet coast of the Baltic sea and recorded the radio traffic on a tape recorder, mounted in the bomb Bay. Later they were joined by modified in the same way Q. 6 from the composition of the 51st squadron. For almost 20 years, until 1976, these machines are “listened to” our radio.
In 1966, on the basis of the Watton shaped 360-squadron with a variant of the Canberra T. 17 intended for doing the RAP in order to teach operators station counter and training of the personnel of the Royal air force and Navy in terms of electronic warfare. The new version of the aircraft had a rather “exotic” view through a modified bow and a significant number of sensors and antennas. Twelve machines were equipped with several systems RAP placed at the bow and in the bomb Bay. The aircraft were operated until 1988
For training of fighter pilots in the 1960 — 1970s, the command was formed into three squadrons, which were completed with various modifications by Canberra. The first of them consisted of 25 cars of different modifications, including T. 11 and T. 19. T. 11 in the bow was installed radar interceptor “javelin” and equipped with four workstations for students. Vol. 19 had a radar with custom frequency settings and has been used to simulate attacks on Soviet fighter planes for training of pilots “lightning” and operators of antiaircraft-rocket complexes “the Bloodhound”. These modifications were in service until the early 1990s, Another school option Canberra TT. 18 — was equipped with two underwing winches for towing different types of targets.
A number of “canberr” was converted into a drone variants (modifications of U. 10 and D. 14) were used for testing a new missile weapons, as well as for many other research purposes. Thus, in 1961, not less than 20 companies operated about 50 unmanned vehicles for various kinds of tests and experiments.
The efficiency of the RR scouts.W and RR.7 was limited to the height of their characteristics. As low altitude, this aircraft was essential, argued that its use in the course of military conflicts, and during deployment of aircraft in Europe. Thanks to the pictures taken with the scouts, cartographers have developed detailed maps of almost all of Europe for the introduction of flight routes in the memory of UR “blue Steele”, which was armed with long-range bombers. And in the middle East, the scouts had done a good job. Already mentioned the Suez crisis, a conflict between Iraq and Kuwait (1962 — 1964), Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi (1970) — everywhere, it was a reconnaissance Canberra.
And yet the military wanted to fly higher and see farther. In the early 1960 appeared high-altitude reconnaissance plane PP.9. More powerful engines “Avon” 209 4990 kgf thrust, larger scale and chord centre wing — all this allowed the aircraft to reach an altitude of 18 300 m. the cockpit canopy, as In(1).8, was shifted to the left. In the midst of the Cuban missile crisis, high-altitude reconnaissance used to photograph the Soviet ships loading in ports of the Baltic sea.
Pair altitude reconnaissance “Canberra” PR.9 from part of 39 squadron in flight, 1970
Intelligence capabilities of the aircraft are continuously improved through the use of all the new special equipment: IR system linear scanning ARI 5969/3, F96 cameras with a focal length of 36 inches, the same installed on the American spy U-2R. The resolution of these cameras is 460 mm with a height of 15 to 200 m. With the advent of GPS receiver, its entered into the navigation system. Later part of his equipment included an electron-optical system similar to that used on the American U-2S, in particular RADEOS (Rapid Deployment Electro-Optical System) manufactured by Goodrich (Goodrich Corporation). In the photographic equipment was included panoramic camera KA-93 with a focal length of 24 inches.
PR.9 was used in almost all conflicts involving the Royal air force. In 1982, seven cars were involved in the Falklands campaign, making razvedroty over Argentina and the South Atlantic. Iraq, the Balkans, Afghanistan, Somalia — everywhere is the work for these first class scouts during the recent conflict. And that high-altitude reconnaissance of part of 39 squadron were the latest modification, officially (and very justly) taken out of service the Royal air force July 28, 2006
Almost immediately after the establishment of Canberra began to be exported abroad. The first buyers were the U.S., which in 1951, almost simultaneously with the Royal air force received two new V. 2. One of them in December of the same year, the Americans broke during the strength tests. However, the “Canberra” they liked it, and more than 400 machines under the designation b-57 was built under the license of firm “Martin”. The aircraft was manufactured in several versions bomber and scout, including high-altitude, aircraft REP and other options. American “Canberra” more than 20 years he was in the US air force, fought in Vietnam, was used by NASA for research purposes, were exported to Pakistan, Taiwan, South Vietnam, set a world record… and in General deserves a separate narration.
The view on the dashboard of the pilot.
Together with the United States two “Canberra” received and Australia. There is also deployed licensed production of cars, building 48 bombers. Of 2 squadron Royal Australian air force, these aircraft fought in Vietnam from 1966 to 1971 With weapons Australian “Canberra” was filmed in 1982
In addition to the US and Australia, “Canberra” was delivered in 14 countries on almost all continents except Antarctica, and as a new machine, and “used”. Export aircraft were often at war. Indian bombers were regularly bombed Pakistan in 1965 and 1971, the Rhodesian machines were used during the civil war, 1972 — 1979, Ethiopia — in the events of 1977 And the Argentine-the aircraft had a chance to war against their “own” during the Falklands conflict of 1982 To the beginning of hostilities Argentina had ten bombers V. 62 (export version V. 2) and two training T 64. At the initial stage the aircraft had been involved in the exploration of English combat formations, later the bombers began to use for its intended purpose. Argentine Canberra has carried out 35 sorties were lost two cars: one was hit, “the Sidewinder” British “sea Harrier”, the second struck the antiaircraft fire.
Mainly active operation by Canberra ended in the 1980s, although some of the machines remained in service in some countries until the beginning of the XXI century. Of centenarians in the world of aviation, perhaps, can be counted on the fingers. In all, over 21 years of serial production built 1376 aircraft in more than 20 versions (not counting license production). On the plane, “Canberra” set 22 world records.
Noticed mistape? Highlight it and press
, to inform us. Ctrl+Enter Recommend to read THE FIRST SWALLOW Guided missile "air — air" RS-1-U. In the late 1940-ies the main Soviet fighter-interceptor was an aircraft cannon. They can be used effectively to strike aircraft at distances not... HEINKEL He 177 GREIF The German aircraft manufacturer Ernst Heinkel Flugzeugwerke GmBH was founded in 1922 by E. Heinkel. Its activities started with the design and construction of military hydroaeroplanes,...