The real work of creating a new heavy tank in the program Panzerkampfwagen VI began in late January 1937, when the company Henschel was commissioned and started to design the combat vehicle under the symbol index DW1(Durchbruchwagen — car break). From September 1938, the firm began to develop a variant of the DW2, which had differences from its predecessor in design of the gear box, brake, caterpillars, airborne transmission, wheels and suspension. The tank was supposed to install the turret from the Pz.IV with 75mm gun and coaxial machine gun MG 34. The second gun should have been installed in the hull on the right. But in both cases it was limited only to the construction and testing of the chassis.
Read more